Welcome, so you want to convert your Vinyl to digital and preserve as much quality as possible huh? Great! Let me share some of what I’ve learned here while trying to do the same.
If you can’t tell from my Blog tagline I like coffee.
However I’ve had trouble with heartburn (related to drinking coffee) and read at some point that there’s a cold brewing process for coffee that’s less acidic among other benefits.
I decided recently I’d like to try it out and I noticed that the “Toddy” brewer costs $40. I read the manual for the Toddy brewer online along with a few other posts about making your own cold brewed coffee at home without the Toddy and decided it’s not worth the money and I can do it myself.
In case anyone is interested in knowing I downloaded the source code for release 3.4 and compiled it with the change listed here: https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/wiki/Tvheadend_NTSC and I can now tune in analog (and digital) stations with my Hauppauge HVR 1600 tuner.
***Scroll to bottom of article to see updated code with audio & video trancoding.***
The Raspberry Pi is not bad at hardware H264 encoding. It processed a 5.81GB 720P 60fps Mpeg Transport Stream that was an 1hr, 2min, 27seconds long and converted to H264 1280 x 720 60fps in 1hr, 38min, 57seconds with a resulting file size of 293MB.
The quality is a bit less than I’m used to with Handbrake and this is video only (still need to find out how to add audio to gstreamer transcoding). However for the quality it’s at it is an impressive speed for something the size of a credit card that consumes 5V1A of power and costs only $35.
Here’s how I was able to get the Raspberry Pi to get this far.
Tvheadend Post Processing with Commercial Removal, Transcoding, & Plex/Kodi Naming Convention
Bash Script is located here:
This is my first whack at a Post Processing script for the TVHeadend DVR software.
It has it’s faults but it does work. I have future ambitions of creating a script complete with commercial removal and .nfo file generation for the Plex Media Server and Kodi (XBMC) to pick up.
So without further ado here’s a script that takes recording from TVHeadend and transcodes it to an h264/AAC mp4 file using the “Normal” preset in Handbrake(CLI).
In an OwnCloud server if you change the permissions of an external drive to give r/w access (in my case chgrp www-data) and OwnCloud isn’t updating those permissions you can do this. In your MySQL database find your external storage in oc_storages and make note of the numeric id. Then run this query “Delete from oc_filecache where storage = numeric_id” replacing numeric_id with the one you found in the oc_storages table.
Ubuntu 14.04 Server
FYI: Rochester, NY QAM Tuning List (results may vary, likely by node):
After updating to Windows 8.1 open your start menu and search for “Disk Cleanup”
To start this is not the most minimal you can get but for someone pressed for time it’s a great start.