This is going to be fun!
It was a Friday night and I was listing some things for sale on Craigslist when I did what I do every time I’m on Craigslist and that was to check the Free listings. Usually there’s a bunch of crap in there and anything worth its salt is gone in a blink of an eye.
Which is why I was amazed to see a Centipede arcade cabinet and thrilled when the person who had it started responding to me!
Now that I have this beast in my garage I want to fix it up and document the process. I plan on adding tons of videos and pictures as I go along so stay tuned and check back often.
What’s wrong with it?
Almost everything, lol. The main board is missing, the controls are missing, the CRT has burn-in, the control board has new holes drilled in it with no controls and two torn control board art pieces, the coin drawer has no key or wires attached anymore, the marquee is missing and the list goes on.
Okay what’s the plan?
The side art is mostly intact and so is the overall structure so my plan is to gut out all of the old electronics except for the speaker (assuming it works) and:
- Clean the cabinet
- Replace the CRT with a spare Dynex LCD TV I have (mounted vertically)
- Use a Raspberry Pi with Retro Pi
- Replace the Marquee with a reproduction from arcademarquee.com
- Strip the artwork from the control board and add custom artwork based off a design here (adding the trackball back in): http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,55639.0.html
- Add controls from the X-Arcade 2 player DIY kit with trackball
- Replace the fluorescent back-light with Adafruit Neopixels programmable LEDS
(This is debate-able though. I might stick with the traditional fluorescent bulb)
The ultimate goal
The end goal is to have everything in the cabinet wired up to a single power switch that when turned on goes to centipede by default (with trackball controls and 1-2 player selection) but has an escape key combination to get into a RetroPi/Emulation Station UI with additional games. Money is tight right now so some of this project may be on hold for a while but what I can test and build in the meantime I intend to document.
Testing the speaker
I removed the marquee back-light and speaker assembly to test if the speaker still had sound and this is what happened.
Starting to take shape…
Stay tuned for more to come…